Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Prickly Thorn, but Sweetly Worn

I'm trying to think of as many things to update on as I can, but I'm sure I won't be able to think of very much.

-Saw Slumdog Millionaire last night. I think it lived up to (most of) the hype. Well shot, good music, interesting story, great love story. And how cute was the youngest Latika?? 

-I've had some trouble with my left shoulder for a few years. For a while, it was only a nuisance, but it's gotten to be much more bothersome in the last few months. Like I was telling a friend last night, I'm to the point where I just want a doctor to cut me open and fix whatever is wrong. I've heard a few different opinions on what's going on with it from a chiropractor, an orthopedists, a couple of general doctors, and my sweet mother (she's the best doctor she knows), but I'm sick of getting different answers and I'm sick of it hurting. Cut me open and take the bad out. Thank you.

-The Auburn women's basketball game was easily the best moment in Auburn sports in what has been a pretty bad senior year for me sports-wise. 12,000 people in Beard Eaves for a women's game was pretty impressive. And so is 20-0. I hope we can keep it going. Mark my words, if we make it to the Final Four, I'm going. 

-I'm sad to report that, as of Saturday, I am the only member of the "Porch House Crew" left in Auburn. I see this crew as Oldham, Stewart, Chase, Austin, Nathan, Tanner, and me (I guess Jay counts, but he won't read this). Stew left this weekend for a semester of studying abroad in Italy. This year just continues to get more and more strange. Where did all my best friends go?

-I've been spending a lot of time with GarageBand. It's been good to learn by doing, and to slowly become more and more comfortable with hearing my voice. 

-Like any college senior, the last few months have been filled with this question: "What are you doing after you graduate?" A couple of days ago, all of these conversations came to a head, and I had a bit of a personal crisis. I was sick of saying "I don't know!" I've been through the gamut of every possible idea...Boston, Seattle, Nashville, Birmingham, Boulder, Kenya, non-profits, teaching, charter schools, US Foreign Services, AIM, Teach for America, IJM, music. Nothing feels perfect. I don't feel any real pull to anything. No doors are opening. I'm frustrated. Actually, I'm way past frustrated. I know that most people in my position go through this. Don't tell me that. Don't tell me to just pray about it. I am. Don't tell me that I'll figure it out. I know that I will, eventually.

Last night, in my never-ending perusing of the World Wide Web, I came back to something that I've looked at a couple of times: The Peace Corps. I noticed that, after a year of having their people pulled out of Kenya after political strife and violence that originated in December of 2007, they're back. And that's exciting. I'm going to be looking into it much more. MUCH more. 

2 comments:

Kayla Steury said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kayla Steury said...

ok, but really, what ARE you doing after you graduate?? haha jk don't worry about it just pray! :)

how much do you hate me right now?