Monday, December 8, 2008

Behold the Lamb of God

I've been wanting to write this post for months, but I waited until it was more relevant. Today I am here to tell you about the very thing that changed Christmas for me. Before Christmas '07, I don't think I ever really "got it". It was just a time for stress, presents, and food. Sometime in the middle of '07, I purchased a copy of Andrew Peterson's album Behold the Lamb of God. I had always been a big AP fan, and knew that this CD existed, but for some reason had always shied away from it. I never thought I would like it for some reason. The song titles were weird. It was a Christmas album. I never thought Christmas could be cool. But I have never been more wrong. Not only do I have a huge appreciation for Christmas music now, but this album turned out to easily be the best Christmas album I own, and probably in my top 5 albums I've ever heard. 

BTLOG is more than your average Christmas album, however. And it's also not your run-of-the-mill Andrew Peterson album. This is a collaborative effort, on so many levels. It features many artists who are among my favorites (and also many other musicians who I love), including Derek Webb, Jill Phillips, Andy Gullahorn, Ben Shive, Andrew Osenga, Sandra McCracken, Fernando Ortega, Ron Block (from Union Station), Randall Goodgame, Laura Story (she wrote "Indescribable"), Gabe Scott, and others. 

The album takes a path through the Christmas story, albeit a strange path. But only strange in its completeness. The first 4 or 5 songs focus on Old Testament stories, setting the scene for the coming of our Savior as the people long for Him. The rest of the songs deal with His birth. Unmistakably Biblical words fill these songs. As usual, Andrew Peterson has it together lyrically. There are way too many passages to even quote one, but the highlights for me are the final declaration in "So Long, Moses" and basically all of the remarkably beautiful "Labour of Love". The liner notes have references to the actual verses/passages, so if you decide to get this, try to get the actual CD. 

Musically, it's excellent as well. Lots of variety, a couple of instrumentals ("O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" might the only recognizable song on the album), and many, many beautiful and memorable moments. Ben Shive's string arrangements are killer, as always. 

I can sit and talk about this album all day, because it means that much to me. I don't think I really had a very good grasp on the Christmas season and what it means to me as a Believer until I heard and really digested this album. It was the impulse of a change in me last year that has carried over to this year, and hopefully will continue until I leave this world. We ought not take for granted how important this Advent season is. 

Like I said, I can't recommend BTLOG enough. Please, please, please, please find a way to get this album. I can almost guarantee that it will change Christmas for you. I know that it has for me, and others in my life. If you do get it, let me know. It really means a lot to me, and it will mean a lot more to me to know that it had an impact on someone else.

Lastly, as an awesome bonus, Andrew Peterson and Friends tour this album every Christmas, and will be in Birmingham on December 15th performing at Oak Mountain Presbyterian. They'll also be in Huntsville the night before, and in Nashville at the Ryman on the 18th (if none of those three work for you, check here for the rest of the dates). I saw it last year and it was incredible, obviously. At these concerts, they go through in an "in-the-round" style and each play a couple of their own songs, then take a break, and play BTLOG from beginning to end without stopping. Peterson feels that this is how it is supposed to be heard, and I totally agree. It fits together perfectly. It needs all of the parts. If you can, try to make it to one of these concerts. I'll be attending the one in Birmingham, and probably the Nashville one as well. You're welcome to sit with me. You WILL NOT be disappointed. 

"From you, O Bethlehem, Small among Judah,
a Ruler will come, Ancient and Strong".
-So Long, Moses (from BTLOG)

No comments: