Sunday, December 21, 2008

Inspired.

Yesterday morning I was awoken by my grandmother standing next to my bed, quietly trying to wake me up, yet also trying to not disturb my slumber. She always acts this way... forceful, yet subtle. A gentle soul, never wanting to encroach on me or my goings on. As an adjective to describe her, "selfless" does not even come close. 

8:00 AM at my house usually means very little. My mother is taking advantage of this time in her life. She has trouble sleeping as it is, so I don't normally expect her to be up. My younger sibling is a night owl, always being social, or the life of the party, usually both. I like to think that getting up early while home for the holidays is a good idea. In practice, however, it rarely happens. But Meme is always up by 7. Making coffee (for us), although most of the coffee the day before got poured out. Sugar, spoons, cups, and travel mugs all set out. Reading the paper, then leaving the Sports section on top when she's done, because she knows that's where I go first. Making sure the kitchen is spotless, even if she had already done so the night before. Every dish clean. Trying to be as quiet as possible, so as to not wake the rest of us late sleepers. She always apologizes for being loud, even though I never hear her. 

Meme woke me yesterday to tell me that her brother, my great uncle, needed some help, and would be there in an hour to pick me up. No details, but I always know what this means. Harold has been building brick mailboxes, along with doing other brick and stone work, around Birmingham for around 12 years (after retiring from working for the US Postal Service). He's old. I would guess around 86. He has no business doing what he does. He doesn't need the money. He's had a stroke and hurt himself multiple times the last couple of years. He's hard of hearing. He's a terrible driver. But yesterday he finished his 580th mailbox. He often needs help lifting large cement blocks that go on top of the mailboxes he usually builds. You've probably seen many around Birmingham. If my brother or I are home, he comes calling. He would do it by himself if he could, but it's just not possible. Yesterday was no different. We lifted two huge cement blocks onto the top of his newest creation. Even with a third person's help, it was tougher than its ever been. He's not getting any younger. And I'm not the strongest guy around. But we got it done. Just like always. 580 mailboxes completed, and I guarantee you as long as he is alive he won't quit. 

What an inspiration these two older relatives are. And how lazy they make me feel! 86 and 80 years old, still work regular jobs. When Meme isn't working, she's always DOING something. Always. She stays up late. She gets up early. Cooking, cleaning, reading, working in the yard, visiting her widowed friends in nursing homes who have little family. She rarely relaxes. She never stops. Harold works outside, whether in the 100 degree heat or the 25 degree winters, 6 days a week. He still collects aluminum cans to take and exchange for money. Money he doesn't need. He pays me $20 every time I help him, which is ridiculous for the amount of work I do (although I might deserve that much for daring to ride in his truck with him!). In other words, he's giving. He's selfless.

Two extremely hard working, extremely selfless individuals. Both of whom probably have no business doing the things they do. But they're Nalls. There are a total of 7 kids. They're all this way. Hard-working. Selfless. Inspiring. My mom and I often joke that the Nalls are going to live forever, because despite almost all of their spouses having died (sometimes more than one spouse), they have all lived. And besides one who's in a nursing home, they are all active and busy. Compared to them, my sleeping until 10:00 AM and sitting around the house watching sports all day during my "break" from school is embarrassing. It's obvious that God put them in my life to give me something to work towards. To aspire to. I'm constantly being inspired to aspire.