Monday, September 17, 2007

Music Mondays

Monday Music Goodies::

First and foremost, let me introduce you to Matthew Perryman Jones. He's singer/songwriter from Nashville, and his album Throwing Punches in the Dark might be the best album I own. Which is saying a lot, with how much I love DMB and the old Bebo and Caedmon's albums. MPJ's music is honest, real, and somewhat raw, but his voice is awesome and something about this album just hooks you and reels you in. It's just incredible. He has two other old albums, but they're out of print, and I'm about ready to go up to Nashville to his doorstep and demand the recordings. Regardless, GET Throwing Punches in the Dark. It will be worth your while. (Hard to find info about him, but he's playing in B'ham twice in the next couple of months, including this Saturday at Workplay. Also, check out a fan site here.)

More reviews of stuff I've gotten since I returned (and right before I left):

1) Sara Bareilles (ba-rell-is) - Little Voice
Your basic girl-power piano-pop, but really good stuff. Hard to think of a comparison, though it should be really easy. Nothing too stellar on the piano, but has a really powerful, awesome voice that she highlights on "Gravity" and "Come Round Soon". 7.5/10

2) Jon McLaughlin - Indiana
Singer/songwriter in the mold of Dave Barnes, Matt Wertz, etc., except he plays piano. And he's really good at it. The album is almost too poppy for me, but there are some solid songs, including "Indiana", "Industry", and "Perfect". I think the record deal and over-production covers up the fact that Jon is a really talented guy. 8/10

3) Ari Hest - The Break-In
Ari's just incredible. Pretty low-key album, but much of that has to do with his voice. It's a real gravelly baritone that is one of the most unique voices out there today. Sure, D. Barnes and Wertz and Jon McL and whoever else are great, but it's nice to have a change-up sometimes, and Ari's voice is a perfect example of that. Great writing, basic but inspired production, and that voice make for a solid sophomore effort. Favorite song is "When and If". Also recommend his first album Someone to Tell. 8.5/10

4) Wilco - Sky Blue Sky
I don't pretend to be a huge Wilco fan, or to know a lot about them or about Jeff Tweedy or whatever else. I just like their originality, willingness to take chances, and interesting songwriting. Heard a lot of positives about this album before it's release, so I picked it up, and think it's pretty good. Definitely not "experimental" like Yankee Hotel Foxtrot or A Ghost is Born were. It's hard for me to really classify it. To me, it's really basic stuff, but basic stuff done REALLY well. They obviously set out with a certain vision, and made it happen. Some great guitar solos, especially on "Impossible Germany". 8/10

5) Jeremy Casella - Rcvry (Recovery)
This guy is another Nashville singer/songwriter who is a member of the Square Peg Alliance (also here). The SPA is musician collective of Christian independent singer/songwriters from Nashville who often play together, play on each other's records, and just support each other. Some of my favorite artists are a part of SPA, but I had never really listened to Casella much. However, for the months leading up to its release, all I heard were GLOWING reviews of his newest album. So, being the music-buying fiend that I am, I picked it up from Itunes and was NOT disappointed. It's Nashville singer/songwriter with electronic, classical, and rock sounds thrown in. It makes for a really amazing mix of songs, the highlight for me being "The Space Between Living & Dying". This is another one of those that you really just need to get if you like to support good independent Christian artists and like great music. 9.5/10


I just realized that I have about 10 more that I've gotten recently, so I'll save those for another time.

daylight
your love is like daylight
your love is like a sharp knife
that cuts through all the pain
-Jeremy Casella

It's been a great day, by the way. The Lord is doing good work in me, and hopefully through me.

Driving a Land Rover around is really weird.

I have to start being nice and quiet in Singers...what a shame.

I love my roommates.

wcp



No comments: