Friday, June 6, 2008

hymns.

i love hymns. i always have. i used to love singing them in church while i sat with my grandparents growing up. i can distinctly remember their voices as they attempted to sing on key. it's one of my fondest memories of growing up at bluff park. once i began to sing in choirs and understand harmony, i loved trying to sing the other parts, instead of just the melody. when i decided to try my hand at learning piano, i sat down at our piano with the good ol' united methodist hymnal and starting playing. as the years passed and Jesus started to become more real to me, i slowly started to spend a little bit of time dissecting the texts of these hymns as i played them. and today, the more that i read hymn texts from the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries, i realize that these are the men and women who GOT IT.

in my ever-growing frustration with the state of the american church and our "christian" music, i only have to go back to these songs. these melodies and harmonies. these poems. to be honest, in my times of greatest doubt and unbelief, i come back to many of these hymns to find solace and comfort. i realize that i'm not the only one who's ever felt like that. we still sing the words of these men who felt very similar to or exactly the way i find myself feeling all the time. Jesus is alive, and He is alive in these words. Jesus exists in the words and music of hillsong, charlie hall, derek webb, or whoever else, but when i sing the songs of charles wesley, isaac watts, and william williams, it gives me hope like nothing outside of His word can.

just read this. this is beauty:

i love the windows of thy grace
through which my Lord is seen.
and long to meet my Saviour's face
without a glass between.

oh that the happy hour would come
to change my faith to sight;
i shall behold my Lord at home
in a diviner light.

haste, my Belov'd, and remove
these interposing days.
then shall my passions all be love
and all my pow'rs be praise.

-i. watts

3 comments:

Christopher Lee Kelley said...

Yes. Please remind me of the hymn you got us to sing in Africa. You also wrote it on the back of your journal. Give it to me.

Dan said...

I think of Joe White and his wife sitting on the front row singing their hearts out.

Unknown said...

I could not agree more.
My heart was happy in reading this blog.
I grew up in a Lutheran church. Hymns are what we did. Yet, I sang the melody not the meaning. It became habit, and like so many habits, they put you in a cycle you cannot easily get out of. They leave your blinders on until something or someone can remove them for you. My favorite theology professor, Jerry Sittser, did that for me. He made us sing a different hymn after every History of Christianity class I had with him. Before we sang it he would give us the historical and theological background. Never in my life did words become more powerful. And here I had been singing most of them my whole life. Could this be an analogy for many other things in my life I have been blind to? Certainly.

Thanks for your words.
Karli