Thursday, September 25, 2008

she is the rising sun.

no reason for naming this post what i did, i just think that's a really cool phrase (if i had a girlfriend, i think i'd tell her that. you are the rising sun. sweet.)

it's also the name of a song by a guy named ben shive, who's music i'm mildly obsessed with. i've probably discussed him before, but he plays keys live and in the studio for many musicians whose music i like, including andrew peterson, andrew osenga, dave barnes, matt wertz, derek webb, and others. he put out a solo cd called "the ill-tempered klavier" in june, and it really is the best music i've heard in a long time. great songs, including my favorite, "she is the rising sun". check out a cool review here.

i like blogging about music, because it's what i'm passionate about. so here are a bunch of recommendations of things i've heard lately that i really like. i did this a long time ago, but nobody read my blog then, so maybe this will help some of you make some musical inquiries in the near future:

matthew perryman jones:: swallow the sea
 - i love anything he puts out. his last album throwing punches in the dark is probably my favorite album of the last 2 years. so this was highly anticipated to say the least. and it hasn't disappointed. favorite songs are "feels like letting go" and "when it falls apart". 

act of congress:: declaration (birmingham progressive bluegrass band in the vein of nickel creek. friends of my brother. really good up-and-coming band.)

bon iver:: for emma, forever ago (guy coops himself up in a cabin for 3 months to get away, comes out with this. creepy and beautiful.)

brooke waggoner:: heal for the honey (she's talented. very talented.)

kings of leon:: only by the night (don't know why i like this band, but i really really do. this album is less harsh and more anthemic. caleb followill finally decided that he knows how to sing.)

what else... the coldplay album is epic, if you don't like it i don't respect you. 

also listening to ari hest (always), sigur ros's new one, rosie thomas, john mayer's live album is still played a lot because he's just too damn good, the duhks' latest, wild sweet orange (another b'ham band), spoon's ga ga ga ga ga, and over the rhine.

matt wertz's new album is 8 old songs and 4 new ones. no thanks.

and no, i don't like the new bebo norman album. which hurts my heart to say.

anticipating near-future releases from ray lamontagne (love the first song i've heard, called "you are the best thing"), andrew peterson, sandra mccracken, dave matthews band (if they ever get around to it), ben folds, and others that i'm forgetting because i'm absentminded. 
__________________________________________________________

in other news,

- i survived all of my tests, with minimal actual studying.

- i've become very cognizant of my complaining lately, and tried to put a complete end to it. if you ever hear me complain about anything, tell me to shut up and stop whining. 

- i decided that, despite my distaste for all things political, i might as well just pick one, based on who i agreed with more. and based on who's not a complete idiot. so i picked obama. so, dan and lee and dug and whoever else, obama '08. 

- sarah palin is stupid. not because she's a woman, but because she is. stupid. so stupid. i can see a library from my house, but that doesn't make me smart. 

- samuel adams octoberfest seasonal brew is the best beer i've had in ages. 

- got to see my brother this weekend for a short time, which was enjoyable. we still manage to have a lot to laugh about. 







2 comments:

Dan said...

I consider it a blessing and a curse to have had roomates the last three years that are music fanatics. A blessing because I'm always exposed to new, awesome music. A curse because it makes me jealous. I WANT to be the guy that knows all the new hip bands. I'm just not. Every now and then I'll stumble on someone, but I just don't have the time to browse and listen and stay afront of all the new music. "wait", i hear people saying, "you are a music teacher, shouldn't you be on the cutting edge of music?" Sadly, I'm not. So, i'll just mooch off of your library, which is networked to my itunes.

Charack O' Barkley '08

Unknown said...

I am going to try that beer.
and those music suggestions.
perhaps i'll listen to some tunes whilst sippin a brewsky.