Sunday, July 6, 2008

welcome back.

i'm a little behind on my blogging, on account of me being away from internet service for a week or so. i've been at camp sumatanga, near gallant, alabama, at a little event called music and arts week.

beginning the summer before my 7th grade year, i began to go to MAW (as i will affectionately call it from here on out). my older brother had always attended and it was obvious that it was one of his favorite things throughout the year, so i was pumped to get to start going myself (i didn't get the memo that there was a children's camp too, and that i could have been going for the 4 or 5 years prior). it only took that first year to get me hooked, though.

now, i know that the idea of a music camp where you have to sit through multiple 2-hour rehearsals for 5 days doesn't sound appealing to most people, but i thrive in that. it's where i belong, where i'm at my best.

and the people. my goodness, the people. i can only begin to describe the relationships i've formed at camp over the years. most of these people i only see once a year. but they're still some of my best friends. i wish i could communicate more clearly how much many of these people mean to me.

i went to camp 6 times in middle school and high school. it used to be the greatest week of my year. the memories i had from those times were countless and unmatched. but a few summers ago i made a bad decision.

i skipped camp the summer after my senior year.

i think there were a few reasons for this. but the main one was, it was my last summer home, and i wanted to spend as much time as possible with my friends and jennifer before i went off to auburn. i don't regret that i had that time with those friends and with my girlfriend at the time, but i definitely regret missing camp, because here's what happened:

i forgot. it only took that one year of missing it to forget how much of an impact MAW had had on me. those people, the music, the time with the Lord. and once i missed it that one year, i went on to miss it the next year (although i would have had to be a counselor). and then last summer i also missed it, for a little trip that i took that changed my life.

so this year, i was approached about making my return. i'll say that i was somewhat excited, but not like i was in high school, because i really had forgotten.

but let me tell you, friends, camp sumatanga kicked my ass this week. in the best way possible. it took hardly any time for me to remember how incredible of a week MAW is. being a counselor for the first time was a little different, but in an awesome way. those 15 or so counselors that i got to spend so much time with are such an encouragement to me, in many different ways. the laughter we shared was endless. the music we made was beautiful and pleasing to the Lord. the campers were less in number, but no less in greatness. the new people i met, counselors, staff, and campers included, will forever be important to me in one way or another.

i know that from now on, as long as that camp is alive and kicking, i have to be there. i already miss so many people so much, and i've only been back for 2 days.

praise Him for camp sumatanga. praise Him for music and arts week. praise Him for friends, new and old. praise Him for music. praise HIM.

(sorry for the rob bell-ish choppiness of this post)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to go back to camp.
-Amie Smith

Dan said...

Praise God in his sanctuary, praise Him for his mighty acts, praise Him in the firmament of His power, praise Him according to His excellent greatness.

Long live MAW.

Jessy said...

Keep coming every summer, or else I will drag you there myself. :)